Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Vocabulary work

http://englishinteractive.net/

I poked around on this website for a bit and had these thoughts.

1). For low level students, pictures with audio is pretty great. It is always helpful to hear how a word is produced while being able to look at a picture and the name of the item. These types of things are good for personal review and/or enrichment.
2). The "quizzes" just ask the student to write the name of the item next to the pictures. There are no sentences where the item is used in context, nor do the tests as you to fill in a missing word from a word bank. I'm not sure if students would necessarily remember these words unless the instructor included some other dimension that included some deeper processing of these words.
3) This seems to be some sort of English for specific purposes website, but I can't exactly tell what the theme is. Some better cohesion between the items on the website would be good, but that's just an opinion.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. I strongly agree with your second thought. I think this website is more fore young ESL learners(maybe 6-10 years old), and even when we teach those students, it won't be a very good material for vocabulary learning in class. If used as an extra practice at home, I think it will be more effective.
    For children, it'll be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar thought. But then I thought, do 6-10 year olds need to know what sheers are, though?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't really sure about the ESP, it seemed that maybe the vocabulary that can be studied was just grouped together depending on if it was part of the same family if words. One that I looked at was vocabulary for camping and the other was clothing. I did like that when you click the picture it says the word for you too. This is a good way to listen and practice the pronunciation of the word.

    ReplyDelete