Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Previous Experience with CALL

Working in an underfunded ESL program where we were excited to get notebooks and chalk, I consider myself pretty far behind in the CALL field. Most of my learners did not have access to a computer, and we as a program didn't have access to a computer lab. Outside of helping students set up email accounts at the public library, we tried to avoid the topic completely. I'm not completely illiterate--I can debug a computer, create a PowerPoint presentation, download a podcast, and follow cables and wires to figure out why the printer isn't working, but previous to UIC, my exposure to academic technology was limited. My first introduction to Blackboard was at Tulane University while I was working there, and I was mystified by it the first time I saw it. I'm looking forward to learning as much of this as possible.

My question: using computers in a classroom seems like a great idea, but how do you ensure that all of your students are on the same technology page? If they aren't, how do you ensure that those students don't hold other students back?

3 comments:

  1. I think this could be a definite problem in a classroom where some of the students haven't had much exposure to computers. One thing you could do is either have some type of tutorial to walk those without much experience through the process or have a tutor who can meet with the students outside of class to help them catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this depends on the learning population. Twenty-somethings in Intensive English Programs often have similar backgrounds and will be more or less on the same page. In Community Programs you may have students from different ages and cultures that would have disparate experiences. Hopefully we will learn ways that allow students to collaborate in ways that make these disparate backgrounds work to mutual benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a concern of mine as well. Especially in a nonprofit/community setting where there might not be enough funding to stay updated on the latest technology, how do you make use of all the excellent learning opportunities that technology provides? I like that you made use of the public library to open email accounts. I'm looking forward to exploring other ways to use technology as much as possible, as well as how to help all learners benefit from it, despite varying backgrounds and experience.

    ReplyDelete